I make every effort to provide accurate patterns. Unfortunately, even with testing and editing, things can slip through. This page includes known pattern inaccuracies, as well as frequently asked questions/clarifications. If you have a question or concern about a pattern, please don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cutting directions for the Background Fabric of the Child Quilt (as shown on Page 4) have been updated, as described on this document. Yardage and all piece sizes are correct.
For the first edition of the printed version only: On Page 7 (Puffy) piece G should be 1-1/2" x 2" and not 1" x 2". If you have already cut this piece at 1" x 2", there should be enough of the Fabric 4 strip left to cut at the correct size.
LLOYD & LOLA
The following corrections are for print and pdf patterns distributed before May 4, 2017:
- More complete instructions for making a quilted pillow cover are available here.
Small and Large Quilts
- On Page 7, Step 2 should reference a "left-facing" llama, though either direction will work just fine for the project.
- On Page 9, the instructions for cutting the Horizontal Sashing should specify strips that measure 4-1/2" x 61-1/2" and not 8-1/2" x 61-1/2". There is enough fabric to cut the larger strips, as written, and to use them without really impacting the quilt design. This will just make your quilt finish at 78" tall, rather than 70" and give a bit more negative space at the top and bottom.
- On Page 16, Piece I should be 2" x 3" and not 2" x 3-1/4". If you're already up to Page 19, Step 24, please trim the bottom of each leg by 1/4".
- One Page 24, the labels for left-facing and right-facing block units are reversed.
- In the chart on Page 4, Piece L should be 2-1/2" x 15-1/4", not 1-1/2" x 15-1/4". If you have already cut the piece at the wrong size, there should still be enough fabric left in the 2-1/2" x WOF strip to cut a new piece at the correct size.
- In the chart on Page 4, Piece QQ should be 6-1/4" x 15-1/2", not 6-1/2" x 15-1/2". This measurement is correct in the cutting instructions for both projects.
On Page 1, the Side Border pieces should be 5" x 30-1/2" each, not 4-1/2" x 30-1/2" each. If you have already cut all of the pieces, you can address this by trimming the Bottom Border piece to 5-1/2" x 36-1/2" and the Top Border piece to 15-1/2" x 44-1/2" to make the finished quilt top 44" wide x 45" tall. (If you'd like the quilt to be perfectly square, you can also trim the Top Border to 14-1/2" x 44-1/2" to make a quilt 44" x 44".)
Corrections to the Lepidoptera pattern include diagrams, so they are included on this pdf download. Corrections apply to the first printing of the print pattern.
There are no known inaccuracies in the dimensions of cut pieces.
Early printings of this pattern may include the following inaccurate headings/references:
- On Page 5 (Bunny) the heading above the cutting diagram for Pieces I - Q should read "Fabric 1" and not "Fabrics 2 and 4".
- On Page 3 (Fancy Fox) the heading above the cutting diagram for Pieces C - F should read "Fabrics 3 and 4" and not "Fabrics 2 and 4".
- On Page 15, Step 9, the size of the finished Thistle block should be referenced as 6-1/2" x 18-1/2" (not 6-1/2" x 18"). The size is referenced correctly elsewhere in the pattern, including in the Page 14 introduction to the Thistle Block.
- On Page 17, Step 9, the size of the Upper Wing Unit should be referenced as 7-1/2" x 4" (not 7-1/2" x 3-1/2"). The size of all of the component pieces and the piecing directions are correct, so following the pattern should result in Upper Wing Units that are the correct size.
There are no known inaccuracies in the dimensions of cut pieces, or in the piecing instructions.
In the first printing of this pattern, the back cover and Page 1 reference "Groups 3- 8". This should be Groups 3 - 10 (8 total groups). The written directions and diagrams correctly refer to the 8 different groups and how to cut them.
On Page 7, when cutting the Background Fabric for Fabric Group 2, reference is made to cutting 1-1/2" strips and then subcutting pieces R at 2-1/2" x 6-1/2" each. This should be 1-1/2" x 6-1/2" each, as shown in the chart on Page 4.
PREPPY THE WHALE
There are no known inaccuracies in this pattern. However, some quilters have become confused when attempting to piece the block without reading the written directions. The written directions include instruction to trim Piece B after sewing. If this step is skipped, the block will not come together correctly and the whale's mouth will be too big. (The instructions are written this way because the whale's mouth finishes at ¼" and I think this method makes it easier to accurately sew such a small piece.)